Sanbona Wildlife Reserve
Sanbona is pioneering the return of 54,000 hectares of undulating mountains and plains in the Little Karoo to its natural state, complete with white lion and elephant. Only a 3 hour scenic drive from Cape Town, the Reserve provides a wonderful opportunity for guests to combine a stay in the ‘Mother City’ with a unique Wildlife experience.
Accommodation Information select a tab
Facilities & Services
Please note: these are inclusive in price unless otherwise stated and available at all Lodges.
- Pool: Rim-flow swimming pools with views over the bush.
- Nature Drives: 4 × 4 vehicles will take you to see the flora and fauna in this stunning region. Please note that there is not a great concentration of game, although sightings are likely as many of the cats, including rare White Lions, are currently electronically tagged/located in specific areas, to monitor their progress.
- Bush Walks: Guided walks can be taken by guests aged 16 and over, including to view the Bushmen paintings.
- Boat Trips: Guests can now enjoy a ‘water safari’ on the impressive Bellair Dam which is unchartered territory and presents a new experience and perspective of the Big 5 wildlife, marine and birdlife. Your options are an early morning or sunset cruise, which forms part of a game drive.
- Trout Fishing: This is available at Bo Vlakte Trout Farm, adjacent to the Reserve at a charge.
- Horse Riding: Half and Full-day packages are available on spirited yet comfortable Arabian Horses, suitable for experienced riders. Please book in advance and note this incurs an additional charge.
- Star Gazing: Telescopes and knowledgable guides are available to help you interpret the constellations of the Southern Hemisphere.
- Hot Air Ballooning: The opportunity to see the Reserve from a birds-eye view is available at an additional charge, dependent on weather conditions.
- Wellness Centre: A sophisticated wellness centre is available at Tilney Manor whilst Gondwana and Dwyka also have a Relaxation Retreat with 2 therapy rooms and a steam room (treatments for a charge).
- Shop: Gift Boutiques are available at Dwyka and Gondwana for purchasing a momento of your stay.
Bars & Restaurants
- Each Lodge has a Restaurant with outside terrace for meals under cover or the stars.
The proximity to Cape Town makes this an ideal experience for families without the time to travel further afield for Safari but looking to share a special experience with their children. This is further enhanced by the completion of the new Family Lodge, Gondwana, opened in February 2009.
Looking after younger guests
- Shallow area in the Pool.
- Children’s playroom with TV.
- Selection of board games, puzzles and DVD’s.
- High Chairs available
- Children’s menu
Babysitting & Supervised activities
- ‘Kids on Safari’ programme designed to entertain! As well as game drives for children age 4 plus, treasure hunts and shorts bush walks and star gazing with Rangers and other Lodge staff take place.
- Babysitting: In-house staff providing baby-sitting services. Please advise at least 48 hours in advance.
- Animals: The Big 5 are present but the Lodge is fenced.
Guests are accommodated in a variety of luxurious Lodges including Tilney Manor (6 suites), which dates back to 1898, and Khanni Lodge (4 suites), built in a ‘Summer House’ style in 2003. All open-plan suites are equipped with air-conditioning, fireplace, private bar, tea and coffee making facilities, DVD players, private veranda and duo outdoor showers in private settings.
In 2009, Dwyka Tented Lodge opened, offering 9 Luxury tents with private plunge pools and underfloor heating, in a dry Karoo ravine surrounded by awe-inspiring rock formations. The year also saw the launch of the new 12-room Gondwana Lodge, with views over the plains of the Dam and Mountains.
Explorer Camp Walking Safaris
Operating only Oct-April, this unique 2 night adventure, is available within the North East of the reserve.
A flexible experience where guests will enjoy the magnificent Reserve, whereby your armed qualified guide will enhance their experience with birding, cultural history and other natural history of the area.
The explorer camp reflects the original safari of being on foot and sleeping around the fire at night within the comfort of a
- Distances walked vary each day but can last up to 4 hours
- Departure are set for every Friday
- The campsite is unfenced to provide explorers with true safari experience
- No persons under 16 or over 60 are allowed to participate as wild animals are able to move through the camp at any time and although all safety precautions have been followed; this
remains a reality.
Please enquire for further details
Gondwana has been created to accommodate families.
- Up to 2 children under 12 years can share with parents, accommodated on a sofa bed or cot on request.
- Inter-connecting rooms are also available.
Rates from £388 per night per adult sharing, inclusive of 3 meals, and 2 guided excursions per day (subject to change) and rate above based on a minimum 2 night stay).
- Child under 4 years free of charge.
- Children aged 4 – 11 years charged 50%.
- Children from age 12 will require a separate room and be charged adult rates.
- Pay to Stay for 3 nights and only pay for 2 (Valid 01/05/12 – 30/09/12)
- Pay to Stay for 3 nights and get 10% discount off your stay (non-combinable with the “Pay Stay” special and is valid till 31/12/12)
Note: Please enquire for rates for different Room Types and Seasons and we will compile a detailed quotation for your stay.